Structure of Wards, Branches, CLP and LCF
Working out how everything fits together can seem a bit of a maze – but don’t let that put you off as there’s a common goal: ensuring the party remains open & democratic and maintaining contact between the party, the people and the government.
Our structure and our open policy development process enables more people than ever before to have their say.
You may find Peter Marsh Jenks’ presentation on the slightly confusing county and constituency structure useful. Download the PowerPoint show here.
Branches and Meetings
PLEASE NOTE ALL MEETINGS ARE CURRENTLY ON ZOOM UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTIFYED
Monmouth Constituency Labour Party (CLP)
Monmouth Constituency Labour Party (CLP) is the overarching body for Labour members in the Monmouth Constituency and all members may attend General Committee (GC) meetings the All Member Meetings, which happen every other month on the third Thursday from 7pm till 9.30pm.
It deals with all party, policy, and campaigning matters except those relating to local government and deals with elections for MEPs, MPs, AMs etc.
Who can attend: all members of all branches, excluding Severnside Branch (not in the Monmouth Constituency)
- Chair: Bryony Nicholson email@example.com
- Joint Secretaries: Laura Wright & Steven Garratt firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer: Hilary Beach email@example.com
- Vice-Chair: Peter Marsh-Jenks firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice-Chair: Matt Strong email@example.com
- Women’s Officer: Alice Fletcher firstname.lastname@example.org
- 100 Club: Roger Harris email@example.com
- Communications and social media: Adelise McDowell firstname.lastname@example.org
- Disability Officer: Laura McConnel email@example.com
- LGBT+ Officer: Katherine Vaughan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Policy Officer: Catrin Maby email@example.com
- Trade Union Liaison Officer: Gethin Jones firstname.lastname@example.org
- Young Members Officer: Kyle Eldridge email@example.com
- Arfon Lwyd Rep: Richard Clark firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bryn-y-Cwm Rep: Sara Burch email@example.com
- Central Monmouthshire Rep: Maggie Harkness firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lower Wye Rep: Martin Perkins email@example.com
Rules & documents
Monmouthshire Local Campaigning Forum (LCF)
The Monmouthshire Local Campaigning Forum (LCF) deals with all local government matters relating to MCC including the election of Councillors and liaison with the Labour Group on MCC.
The LCF is currently prorogued pending boundary changes.
- Chair: Peter Marsh-Jenks firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice-Chair: Laura Wright email@example.com
- Secretary: Matt Strong firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer: Su McConnel email@example.com
- Labour Group Leader: Mary Ann Brocklesby firstname.lastname@example.org
Rules & documents
All members are part of a ward. Most wards have about 1,500 voters and elect one councillor. There are 33 Monmouthshire County Council (MCC) wards and 4 Torfaen Borough Council (TBC) wards in the Monmouth Constituency. Wards do not contain enough members to meet on their own. Members in a ward do, however, have a say in who stands for election as a local councillor every five years.
Wards are grouped together in branches. Most meet between 6 and 12 times a year and all members in that group of wards are welcome to attend. Branches discuss and agree local policies and campaigns to promote the Labour Party. They are the heart of the Party and play an essential role in campaigning.
Bryn-y-Cwm Branch (Abergavenny area)
- Secretary: email@example.com
- Meets: CONTACT ABOVE FOR DETAILS. Usually 2nd Tuesday 19:00, Abergavenny Community Centre.
Lower Wye Branch (Chepstow area)
- Secretary: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meets: CONTACT ABOVE FOR DETAILS. Usually 3rd Tuesday 19:30, on-line.
Central Monmouthshire Branch (Monmouth & Usk area)
- Secretary: email@example.com
- Meets: CONTACT ABOVE FOR DETAILS. Usually 1st Tuesday 19:00, Robin Hood pub.
Afon Lwyd Branch (Croesyceiliog area)
- Secretary: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meets: CONTACT ABOVE FOR DETAILS. Usually 2nd Tuesday at 19:00, Woodland Rd, Council Office.
Severnside Branch (Magor and Caldicot area) Usually 2nd Tuesday
Not currently part of Monmouth CLP, but is part of the Monmouthshire County Council area.
- Secretary: severnside@monmouthlabour.
- Meets: CONTACT ABOVE FOR DETAILS. Usually 1st Monday at 18:00 St Mary's Hall.