Monmouth CLP Women's Forum
Next meeting postponed
The next planned meeting of Monmouth CLP Women's Forum, which was to have been on 6th May, has been postponed because of the forthcoming General Election.
The reconvened Women's Forum meeting will take place at the Bridges Community Centre, Drybridge House, Wonastow Road, Monmouth NP25 5AS on Saturday 17th June, 10am - 12pm.
Setting up Monmouth CLP’s Women’s Forum
In May 2016 I took over as Monmouth CLP Women’s Officer from Christine Walby. We owe a debt of thanks to Christine whose valuable work in the CLP over many years is much appreciated.
I’ve now had discussions with women members of Bryn y Cwm, Monmouth, Lower Wye and Usk Branches about setting up a Monmouth CLP Women’s Forum. I’m sorry not to have met the women members of Monmouth CLP’s Torfaen Branch yet – and hope very much that we can get together in February.
On 15 December 2016, I presented our Draft Terms of Reference and 2017 Action Plan for the Monmouth CPL Women’s Forum to Monmouth CLP’s Executive Committee. The Executive Committee strongly support the purpose of Labour Women’s Forums, endorsed the Terms of Reference and Action Plan and awarded a generous start up grant to the new Monmouth CLP Women’s Forum.
The launch meeting of the Monmouth CLP Women’s Forum was held in Monmouth on Saturday 28 January - full report coming soon.
In the last few months Monmouth CLP women members have identified many ways in which to assist women in the community and to enable Labour women to become more involved. Here are some of the actions suggested:
- Mentor and support women who want to stand for election.
- Help members to learn more about how the Labour Party works
- Promote gender equality
- Engage new members in Labour Party activities
- Support women who want to become involved in canvassing but have no experience
- Signpost women in unpaid caring work to training and support
- Campaign on issues important to women (against zero hour contracts, for a living wage and for more child care provision)
- Campaign against violence against women
- Organise projects around befriending and mental health
- Organise self-defence and assertiveness classes
- Listen to the concerns and needs of women in the community
- Information about Monmouth CLP’s Women’s Groups
Please contact Penny Simcock for information – we are in a pre-launch development phase!